ROOM NO 206

                                    --- ANIRBAN DAS

"Now buddy, we should start our journey," Sayok said and sat on the chair in front of me.
"Where?" I said curiously.
"Why," Sayok sounded a serious voice,
"Now don't tell that you are not going rubbish!
We are going to Murshidabad,as we decided before our exam."

I am a lazy one. I planned to stay at home this small vacation after our semester exam. But this rude boy is going to spoil that plan!

"Actually I am not feeling well."
"Ok, then our friendship is over now," Sayok shouted.
"Oh ok! Don't shout! I am going!" I said with a little disgust.
"Yeah, that's it! Now I'll talk with uncle and aunt. I know they would allow you. Be ready!"

He jumped from the chair and ran out.
I felt exhausted. Where from this guy get this huge spirit? I sunk in that thought.

The day came. We three friends, Sayok,Ajay and me Arun , started our journey by train.
About 12 p.m. the train whistled and departed NJP junction. We grabbed three seats in the general compartment.

It was a nice journey. We were not exhausted at all. Especially, I was feeling an excitement after many days. It was about 7 p.m. We informed our parents about our safe journey and took a toto. Within 5 minutes, we reached our prebooked hotel 'Royal'. We did all the formalities and entered our rooms.

 Two rooms were booked. Three men would not be able to sleep in a single bed. It was decided that Sayok and Ajay would stay at room no. 206 and mine was 207. We changed quickly and sat together in room no. 206.

"So buddies, all is well. Right?", Sayok asked looking straight to us.

"Really nice!" I exclaimed, all is really going well."

Ajay shook his head to support me.

Gossiping about two hours, we took our dinner at 10:30 p.m. The food was supplied from my home. It was really delicious!

We talked till 11 p.m. Then I came to my room. The temperature was felicitous. We had to sleep soon. We had to get up early the next morning. The plan was like that.

I lay on the bed. It was soft. Now I was some tired. Within 10 minutes I fell asleep.

I don't know when but suddenly my sleep broke. I checked the time in my phone. It was 2 p.m. A light sound was coming to my ears. I couldn't recognize it. I gave more concentration. The sound was increased now. It seemed as someone is coming to my room and his boot was making the sound.

"What! Really?" I asked myself. Who he can be? I felt a sudden fear inside me. The sound was very near now. But I was safe as the door was locked.

"Ahhhhhh!", a groaning came out from my throat. I saw a shadow, he was big and strong, entered in my room. I forgot to scream.
What is that in his hand? A dagger!
"No no no," I felt a strog jolt! It was only a few moments, but for me it seemed to be many hours!
I almost lost my sense but suddenly the door opened. A young man came inside and he pressed a switch beside the door. It was Sayok!
I was sat in the bed, my heart was insanely throbbing. Blood circulation became very fast.  Probably my mouth colour was also changed.
"What happened?"
"Nothing".
"Then why u are so frightened?", Sayok shriveled his eyebrows.
"It was a dream. But what are you doing here?", I threw this question to him.
Sayok said with a little disgust,
" I was just going to toilet. Suddenly your sound came. So I came. Now sleep!"
He left the place quickly. I locked the door and came to my bed. I was very much frightened now also! I knew it's all not a dream! I locked the door properly before sleeping. Then how Sayok could enter this room! That shadow has unlocked the door obviously! My body started trembling again.
"What is happening actually?"
I checked the time and it was 2:30. I didn't off the light and sunk into thoughts with a terrified mind.

The next morning I described the whole thing. As usual, Sayok believed nothing. Ajay also described it as a nightmare.

"Yeah! It is all a nightmare! Arun told it yesterday," Sayok said with a cruel smile.

"That's not actually true," I said, "I knew you wouldn't believe, so I didn't want to make a scene at night!"

"Ohk coward! Today I'll stay in that room. You and Ajay would stay in our room. Now stop saying rubbish and dress up! We have to go out now," Sayok said.

We took our breakfast in a near restaurant. Then started our journey with a private car. It was a real enjoyment all the day. Hazarduari Palace, Motijhil, Katra Muszid all were awesome!
But the thought of the previous night was insanely bothering me all the way. I tried to forgot it again and again. But failed!
Except that, our 1st day tour was nice.

At about 6 p.m. we returned our hotel. Then we went to the near market. Not for buying anything but for loitering. The place was really good.

We took our dinner in the same restaurant where we took breakfast and returned to the hotel. It was 10:30 p.m.

"Ohk boys, today you two would stay here," Sayok pointed toward room no. 206.

"There's no problem", Ajay said.

"That was not a dream really!", I exclaimed.

Sayok smiled a little and put his hand gently in my shoulder. "Good night!", He said, "Good night" Ajay.

We bade him also with the same.

"I think you were very tired and imagined those things," Ajay said after entering the room.

I was silent for few seconds.

"Not really!" I declared firmly.

"Ok bro, now don't think those things again."

Ajay switched off the light and lay beside me.

After some common conversations, we tried to sleep. Don't know about Ajay, But there was not any fleck of sleep in my eyes. I was thinking about Sayok. "God may save him from danger!" I praid.

Hours left. Ajay slept. I checked my phone, It was 2 p.m. A spark of sudden fear glowed inside me. I tried to find whether any sound was coming or not. It was really a hard time for me.
But there happened nothing today. I checked my phone after sometime. It was 2:45.
I pondered about Sayok, "Is he okay?"
But I had no courage to go and check his room. So I didn't do anything.

The next morning Sayok came with a winner's face.

"I slept very well yesterday." Sayok said, "Your bed is more soft than us, Hahaha!"

I felt well. Sayok is all safe. There is nothing for tension. Now I felt ashamed also. Is that really a imagination? Am I a real coward?

Suddenly Sayok pinched me and said, " Today you would stay in that room again. Don't fear buddy! It's all okay."

I couldn't make a sound. I was really ashamed. That day was the last day of us there. So, the last night I had to again stay in that room!

We dressed up and started our tour again. That day was also well spent. I felt as if we became a part of the glorious history of Murshidabad. I didn't thought such bliss I could get from that well known place.

As same as the day before, we returned our hotel at about 7 p.m. and went to the near market. At about 10:30 p.m. we entered our hotel after dinner.

"Ohk Arun, Good night," Sayok said with a smiling face.
"Ok, good night," saying this I entered my room and started to feel a panic.

"That all was my imagination," I forcefully wanted to convince myself. But the panic did not escape!

First I planned not to off the light. But if Sayok came and found the emerging light through the small gap between the door and the floor, he would definitely make a laugh the next morning. So I switched off the light.

I talked with my old friend Sunil in whatsapp, for sometime. Then started trying to sleep. To dominate my panic, started to listen AR Rahman songs, my favourite singer.
Within 20 minutes I slept.

Suddenly my sleep broke.
"Aghhhhh!" I groaned, That sound of boot!

My condition became same as the previous night again. Whole body started trembling in fear, It seemed that I became paralised, I tried to jump from my bed but failed, even I couldn't make a sound.
The shadow entered! That dagger!

I tried to do something, but "Aaahhhh!"

The shadow drove his dragger through my chest!
The next morning when my sense returned, I found myself in a hospital bed.

"What actually happened?" Sayok said. Now he was being looked some tensed.

"Am I alive?," I murmured.

"Don't talk like a stupid! We would go back today," Sayok firmly said,"It was our last night in Murshidabad."

I looked to the face of him quitely. I had many things to say but didn't say anything. Ajay was also there, looking at me with two concerned eyes.

At about 5 p.m. I had been dispatched from the hospital. Our train was at 8 p.m.
So, we returned to the hotel. I sat in the reception. Ajay and Sayok went to the rooms to take our bags. I didn't go. I had not that mental situation then. I wanted to go to home as soon as possible.

Suddenly some monk type person entered the reception. He was dressed with only orange. He looked forward into my eyes. My body shivered.

"Are not you Arun?" He asked in a serious voice.
I told yes.

Don't know why his seriousness vanished suddenly, his face became emotional.
He came in front of me slowly and suddenly  hugged me.

"Who are you sir?" I saw Sayok and Ajay came, and this question was asked by Sayok.

The monk smiled a little.
"Sit here boys, you should know the whole thing."

Then he explained the whole thing which happened with me in that dark nights!

While listening, my ears became red, body became hot, I became paralised!

19 years ago from that day, In that hotel, in  that room, a 19 year old boy was murdered. Actually the target was his father. The father was a lawyer. He divorced his wife 3 years before and he had then that son only, writing HS exam that year. Now, the accused was a high profile politician, he intended to murder the lawyer opposing him. As per his plan, a murderer was sent for this job. That very day the son of that lawyer came to meet his father after HS exam. But the lawyer had to reach Patna that night for something emergency. So, he went but his son stayed in that house.

At that night, when the boy was slept, at about 2 p.m. he was murdered. The murderer didn't recognize him before the murder.

Next afternoon the lawyer came and now all was over!

To forget his enormous grief, he left everything and took a life of a saint and now he was sit in front of us!

"But why I didn't experience anything?" Sayok asked.

The monk gave a smile and said,"Because you are not Suren."

"Suren! Who is this?" Ajay asked now.

The saint closed his eyes and said gently, "Sayok, not only you, many travellers stayed in that room. But they didn't experience anything. Suren was none but Arun's previous birth. That was Arun's previous life! Who was murdered!"

I was so shocked that some groaning sound came out from my throat, "Aghhhhh!"

All the three men looked at me.

The saint continued, "That 19 year old boy, who was murdered, was none but Arun, I mean Suren, and I am that unfortunate person who didn't rescue his son!"

All the three men looked at me. There was a long silence.

Now the monk looked at me and said, "Do you think you have come here for no reason? Was it all about your intention to visit Murshidabad?"
"No boy no! Your spirit was attracted to this  place, to this hotel, to this room! Spirits are not destroyable, it just leaves its old body and take a new one. At the age of 19, when you was murdered cruelly, your spirit had a high excitement, so when you are 19 today, you are here! You felt the same thing which you felt 19 years ago in that room!"
The monk told these things with a single breath. Now he gasped a little.

"Ok, all is right now, you'll not be disturbed anymore for your previous life, It was nothing but a sudden reminder of your previous birth. Actually your sixth sense is very powerful. But I don't think it is going to happen again." The monk smiled.

I had no energy to move! These all happened like a nightmare. Was all this real? But not only me, my two friends also witnessed these!
They also experienced this weird night!

Was that saint actually my father? Was he really a saint? But what can be his intention to tell such a lie to us? Whatever it is, I believed him. He looked really adorable. I could not suspect him and even I believe him today!

After taking the blessings of that saint, we came out from that hotel. We reached the station and at about 8:15 p.m., our train started its journey.

We got three seats in the general compartment. Other passengers were also there. We informed our parents about our train's departure.

 I was exhausted. My two friends were also silent. Many things happened in Murshidabad. Suddenly a cold wind  came from the window and brushed my face, and as if the smilng face of that saint flowed  in front of my eyes. My eyes became wet.




Thank you .
If liked the story please share it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Worry I Will Keep My Promise

WHAT WAS IN YOUR HEART